How to remove ^[, and all of the escape sequences in a file using linux shell scripting
groff produces bold characters like you would on a typewriter: print a letter, move one character back with backspace (you can't erase text on a typewriter), print the same letter again to make the character more pronounced. So simply omitting backspaces produces "SSYYNNOOPPSSIISS". col -b fixes this by interpreting backspaces correctly, quote from the manual:,I've stumbled upon this post when looking for a way to strip extra formatting from man pages. ansifilter did it, but it was far from desired result (for example all previously-bold characters were duplicated, like SSYYNNOOPPSSIISS)., 1 @rth Unclear what you are proposing; trimming exactly four characters is wrong because the escape sequences are different lengths. You'd have to write an escape sequence parser to know how many to remove. – tripleee Mar 23 '20 at 5:20 , 1 It seems to be the col -b option that does this. The documentation says that this removes backspaces characters :/, go figure. It is nevertheless the most compact option that I could find that doesn't require one to install things (outside of one's package manager) – Att Righ Mar 8 '17 at 15:31
Using keyboard entry:
Or you can use character escapes:
or for all control characters:
sed 's/[\x01-\x1F\x7F]//g' # NOTE: zaps TAB character too!
$ file input.txt input.txt: ASCII English text, with escape sequences
The first and last " characters wrap the whole lot into one parameter passed to echo so that the spacing between the two words is kept as is. But the code:,would be interpreted as three parameters:, So backslash itself must be escaped to show that it is to be taken literally. The other special character, the backtick, is discussed later in Chapter 12, External Programs. , Most characters (*, ', etc) are not interpreted (ie, they are taken literally) by means of placing them in double quotes (""). They are taken as is and passed on to the command being called. An example using the asterisk (*) goes:
Certain characters are significant to the shell; we have seen, for example, that the use of double quotes (") characters affect how spaces and TAB characters are treated, for example:
$ echo Hello World Hello World $ echo "Hello World" Hello World
You need to escape the [ and \ characters with a backslash:,Thanks for contributing an answer to Unix & Linux Stack Exchange!, Stack Exchange network consists of 178 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. ,Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. It only takes a minute to sign up.
If you want in the output just
printf '%s' 'foo.bar\033[00m' | sed 's/\.bar\\033\[00m//'
After question edit: If your file contains control characters such as
printf "foo.bar\033[00m" > file
You would get your shell prompt back, as if nothing happened! But then there would be a new file, with the name 5, containing “2”, the names of all files in your current directory, and then the string 3 is a valid inequality. Make sure you understand why.  ,You can use wildcards in the string, but you must quote them, so that the find command itself can match them against names of files in each directory it searches. The command find . -name ' * .c ' will match all files whose names end in .c anywhere in your current directory, subdirectories, sub-subdirectories, etc. , This should also teach you something about the flexibility of placing I/O redirectors anywhere on the command line—even in places where they don’t seem to make sense.,the result is the string, taken literally. You needn’t quote the entire line, just the portion containing special characters (or characters you think might be special, if you just want to be sure):
If the command substitution consists of a single subshell, such as:,If the command name matches the name of a utility listed in the following table, that utility shall be invoked.,The shell reads its input from a file (see sh), from the -c option or from the system() and popen() functions defined in the System Interfaces volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001. If the first line of a file of shell commands starts with the characters "#!", the results are unspecified., The shell reads its input from a file (see sh), from the -c option or from the system() and popen() functions defined in the System Interfaces volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001. If the first line of a file of shell commands starts with the characters "#!", the results are unspecified.
| & ; <> ( ) $ ` \ " ' <space> <tab> <newline>
bash, available from http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/. The Bash shell is available on nearly every Linux system, and can these days be found on a wide variety of UNIX systems.,Using the file descriptors to read from and write to multiple files,Then she displays the line numbers containing this search string.,The file /etc/shells gives an overview of known shells on a Linux system:
* Copyright(c) 2002 - 2007, Machtelt Garrels * All rights reserved.*Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: * * * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.* * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the * documentation and / or other materials provided with the distribution.* * Neither the name of the author, Machtelt Garrels, nor the * names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products * derived from this software without specific prior written permission.* * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY * EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE * DISCLAIMED.IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY * DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES * (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; * LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND * ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT * (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS * SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Other "escape-using" queries related to "How to remove ^[, and all of the escape sequences in a file using linux shell scripting"
- How to remove a component React has rendered via a function
- Timed out in waitForElementToBeRemoved error in RTL
- Formik arrayHelpers remove is not removing the selected item
- Does every react project started with the same react app that comes with spinning react logo or is there some other way to remove boilerplate?
- React DOMException: Failed to execute 'removeChild' on 'Node': The node to be removed is not a child of this node
- How to dynamically add/remove classNames in react using material-ui?
- How to remove the default CRA react favicon?
- React: How to set a component in 'active' state one at a time, and remove 'active' from all other component on click?
- CSS - Dynamically Remove Font Descender
- Error: Compiling RuleSet failed: Query arguments on 'loader' has been removed in favor of the 'options' property
- Remove autoprefixer warning in react 17.0.2
- I am mapping from a data array and bringing it to the table. In this table, when I click on the Buy button, it will show Remove. but it change all
- ReactDom.hydrate removes SSR DOM
- How to remove app name from left in screen action bar react native
- How to remove port from url for node application using nginx
- How to remove click blue line and hover of text field
- Remove specific product based on multiple factors
- I want to remove Underline in Bootstrap Link
- How to remove two colliding ids from a cart in React?
- Remove comma appearing before/after default value string in textarea
- How to add/remove a div on button click in react js
- Add/Remove CSS classes for buttons in a React Component
- Remove smooth scroll animation on changing page in NextJS with Link component
- How can i remove the home bar indicator's background on my app screen?
- If we have state for the value attribute in the input box, how can we set the previous value when we hit escape in react?
- How to get seconds elapsed since midnight
- How to list the contents of a package using YUM?
- How do you log all API calls using Guzzle 6
- How to remove lines based on another file? [duplicate]
- How to include phpspreadsheet library without composer?
- Loop 0xb7 assembles but won't link
- Perl- What function am I looking for? Assigning multiple rules to a specified outcome
- Detect if the FreeType PHP extension is installed on the server
- Getting cpu cycles using RDTSC - why does the value of RDTSC always increase?
- What's the difference between PDOStatement->bindParam() and PDOStatement->bindValue()? [duplicate]
- Windows equivalent of inet_aton
- How does a socket event get propagated/converted to epoll?
- Display php-cli output in columns
- How do I add a line of text to the middle of a file using bash?
- C++ reading a file in binary mode. Problems with END OF FILE
- Can I set up a default method argument with class property in PHP?
- Shell script to set environment variables permanently
- Auto start file download after form submission
- Maximum length of command line argument that can be passed to SQL*Plus?
- Using Docker I get the error: "SQLSTATE[HY000]  No such file or directory"